Beginning in 2014, FullStack began a partnership with Chef (formerly OpsCode) to redevelop Chef’s community site, Supermarket. The Chef community site is a destination for the open source community to browse, download, and share Chef cookbooks.
The existing community site had a vibrant and involved user-base, however it had started to become outdated, and was missing several key features. Chef desired to open-source the community site in order to allow contributions to the site, but the existing codebase contained proprietary libraries and source code, making open-sourcing it impossible.
Before writing a single line of code, we needed to understand what a successful community site would look like. From the start, we identified and successfully met a number of goals with the launch of Supermarket:
- Creating a delightful user experience.
- Providing an open-source platform for finding and sharing cookbooks
- Automating the process of becoming a contributor to Chef’s open source projects
- Allowing organizations to setup their own internal cookbook site using the Supermarket platform
- Decreasing hosting expenses required to run the community site
- Involving the Chef community in the development of Supermarket